Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Auscult - s/t MLP


Requested by some and here it is.
Until recently, this was one of the most mysterious releases to be found. I was attracted to it as people described it as gloomy postpunk/synth/wave. The album doesn't mention any names of bandmembers, label or song titles. On the back of the sleeve there's only "NYC 1986" mentioned.
Now there's alot more info on this release. The record's on eBay for sale right now (ends within 12 hours) by someone called Goutroy. I think his description is quite accurate:
When I say this is Iron Curtain related, I mean it literally. This is an extremely rare and virtually unknown 12" EP put out in 1986 by Steve Field's (aka the brains behind Iron Curtain) brother, Ken (who was also a founding member of Iron Curtain). This was the only record Auscult released. This record has given collectors a bit of a problem, as nobody knows who was behind this band. No insert was ever included (I opened this sealed copy). There's no record label (it was self-released). No band credits... nothing. The front says "Auscult", the back says "1986 NYC" and the labels on the record only say "1" or "2". I only know this is Steve Field's brother because he mentioned it in an interview on the minimal-wave website (www.minimal-wave.org): "Incidentally, my brother, Ken Fields formed a minimal band in NYC called "Auscult" and released a terrific record that is a true rarity." The full interview can be found here: http://www.minimal-wave.org/site/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=19 As mentioned earlier, Ken Fields was one of the founding members of Iron Curtain along with his brother. He was also the one responsible for Iron Curtain's most well-known song, The Condos, in the form we're familiar with. It was originally a dirge-like song, but Ken reorchestrated it one night and made it into the minimal synthpop song we all know and love. Anyway, enough backstory, on to this record: You can definitely tell the brothers grew up with the same tastes. Take a song from the Condos EP by Iron Curtain, slow it down to 33 1/3, add vocals that sound like Steve Fields mixed with Ian Curtis, and that's what Auscult sounds like. Just like Iron Curtain, he uses a simple, repetitive drum machine, synths, and sparse guitars. The only difference is that Auscult is slower and MUCH darker, dirge-like, and depressive than anything Iron Curtain ever did. Even Tarantula Scream doesn't come anywhere close to the melancholy and gloom found here. If Iron Curtain was covering Danse Society's "There is No Shame in Death", it would sound pretty much exactly like the music here. Needless to say, you should probably own this if you don't already!

Now that the word is out that this record is Iron Curtain related, bids will get high I'm afraid. Glad I found a copy earlier this year (I was the only bidder!) 'cos I can't compete with the minimal synth collectors.
Thanks to Sorrow-Vomit for stirring up my interest a little more for trying to get this one.

This is dark, creepy stuff. Recommended!

Auscult MLP (No Label-1986)
1. Untitled
2. Untitled
3. Untitled
4. Untitled

Auscult

26 comments:

elektro said...

Thanks for the share, I think the ebay seller is the same that have this blog:

http://goutroy.blogspot.com/

Cheers for your blog!

Oliver / Cultpunk said...

I like this. The band name is great. The sound is dark and gothy in that early 80s post-Joy Division way but without being formulaic. Great atmosphere created by this record. Thanks for sharing -- had never heard of it before.

Anonymous said...

A great find, thank a lot

Fantasmi said...

WOW
I never heard of this.

Thanx

Fritz die Spinne said...

Another cool find, my friend.

I'll be scouring the local shops. Well, it is one or two shops now. Oh well.

I see that other copy sold for $95.00

Fritz die Spinne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vlanik Ro said...

Another masterpiece-makers from the dark 80's! Thanks, CG!

Vlanik Ro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dark and creepy works for me, thanks, Grant

goutroy said...

Glad to help clear up the mystery surrounding this record. It had me stumped until I read the Steve Fields interview. This also sort of inspired me to start uploading stuff to my blog again. I uploaded the Desert Corbusier EP (on Curious Guy's request list) and a couple others.
http://goutroy.blogspot.com/

Capa Nostra said...

You're very lucky having this relic in your collection.

Thanks for sharing.

Bimble said...

Holy shit this is some QUALITY GOTH! I think I'm going to post about it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this. This is deep and intense in a way that comes right next to the best Joy Division tracks. Can't think of anything else that is so credibly and desperately dark while still very enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

It seems the Auscult has record has been re-upped once, but I'm dying for it. If a re-re-up is at all possible, it would be greatly appreciated. You're doing the blogosphere a great pleasure with this site.

Curious Guy said...

SS, re-up is done. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I thank you kindly for this amazing record. I've discovered so many quality gems as a result of your hard work. Sharing really IS caring. Danke.

jovial bee said...

please re-up again. so much hype surrounding this in the comments. i beg of you, do re-up. thx in advance

Curious Guy said...

Jovial Bee, new link is up. Enjoy!

Curious Guy said...

New rip for Auscult. FLAC also included. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

damn it. down again. please re up

Curious Guy said...

New links for Auscult. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Down again :(

Curious Guy said...

New link. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

oh no, I'm ashamed to ask, but could you re-up once again? :-)

Curious Guy said...

New link. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I'm not the one that asked for a new link, but I certainly appreciate it as well! Just about any of the FLAC files you felt kind enough to re-up I'd be all over. You have spectacular taste!